Mind Wreck: Shadow Games

Mind Wreck: Shadow Games - J.Z. Foster Matthew Reed was living a below average life. He went from home to home in the foster care system and now he just broke up with his girlfriend, he works a minimum wage job and barely gets by. Life is about to change for him but not in a way that he would like. He’s been having bad headaches and is getting visitations from a woman who he’s not sure is real.

One night he lets a stray cat into his apartment and to his shock discovers that the cat is dead and is being controlled by the spirit of his dead father. Matthew has psionic powers and he’s growing more powerful every day in a process called the mind wreck. He’s becoming what’s referred to as a shadow, he has the power to do anything with his mind but on the downside he’s entering a game where everyone is trying to become more powerful and some are trying to kill him. He’s entered the shadow games and life will never be the same.

Mind Wreck: Shadow Games by J.Z. Foster is a paranormal suspense novel where anything goes. When I say anything I mean anything, this is an unapologetic horror novel with moments of dark humor thrown in. I think there were 10 times during the reading of this book where I thought to myself: “What the…” This is an idea that I’ve seen done in several novels yet this story comes across as fresh and original.

The best part of this book is how the story is told, there is no slow build up into the action, the book starts with a bang and throws you into the deep end of the pool without a life-preserver so to speak. I got the feeling that J.Z. Foster realized that there are several novels out there dealing with people who have psychic powers and he wondered how he can make his story different. The answer was by letting the audience come to their own conclusions on what’s happening as he runs a character who I instantly loved into terrifying situations. In the very beginning you see the character of Matthew as a normal human with a hard life but then he finds out he’s something different. He’s a shadow and shadows are nothing like humans. They live in a different world and this book is about a crazy world that’s exists within our own.

If you read that paragraph and thought to yourself that this book sound confusing, you would be right, but if you love the macabre I would urge you to read it. Even though the first part is confusing the author hooks you by giving you a character in Matthew that you immediately relate to and feel sympathy for and he has some truly horrible experiences such as almost being lobotomized by a doctor and being attacked by a demon. It’s not just a story about a down on his luck guy who finds he has powers. There’s also a love story and a story about a father and son all wrapped up in a bloody nightmare. This is a book that you have to be a real hard-core horror fan to enjoy, it’s not for the squeamish. If you can get past the violence though you’ll find a great story with great characters from an author who knows what horror fans want.