Face the Change

Face the Change - Samantha  Bryant Face The Change by Samantha Bryant is the third book in the menopausal superhero series and gets deeper into the lives of the world's newest heroes. In the last book we discovered that the menopausal superheroes weren't the only ones with power. Jessica and Fuerte have joined the department which is now gone public and is being called  the UCU, the unusual cases unit.

Patricia is still on the fence about joining but she does do some contract work with them. Leonel is still having issues with David, Jessica is better at handling her powers and is also in love with a member of the department. As the story goes on we still have the UCU trying to track down Cindy and her father plus a new enemy that is using mind control to take over parts of the city.

The third book in the series is the same as the other two books. The first and second didn't have an ending and neither does this one. This novel series is a lot like reading a comic series where the main story never ends. Some things get resolved but some stories keep going. The reason I like these books and want to read more is that I enjoy the characters, you don't normally get superhero stories about women in their late fifties and sixties and the issues they deal with you wouldn't find in other stories similar to this.

What I enjoyed most about this story is that we learn a little more about how Cindy thinks. Cindy isn't a bad person, she just puts science before people. I though it was interesting how she was thinking of Patricia as a villain, even though Patricia was trying hard to save Cindy from herself.   Also I liked when Cindy was noticing how her new body felt so much better than her old body and was wondering if she could get her life right this time.

The other character that fascinated me in this book was Helen. She's a woman who seems to be loosing her mind, is it due to her flame throwing power? Symptoms from menopause? or is she just bipolar with her condition making it worse. Helen is a villain but you feel a lot of sympathy for her, you get the impression that she hasn't had much good in her life and in her mind her fire power changes that. In the past she felt weak and unimportant, now she has power but she doesn't use it for good. She is out for revenge against anyone who has ever harmed her.

My main problem in this book was that I was expecting a little more action this time around. The action scenes seemed short and like they were there just because it was expected. Since this superhero trilogy is geared towards a different audience, it doesn't need a lot of action but I still felt that the two fight scenes towards the end could have been better. My other complaint was that Agatha the psychic should have had a bigger role. It seemed like throwing her in as a villain was just a way to show that the UCU does more that just chase after Cindy, but her story seemed unimportant compared to what else was going on. I would still recommend this series. It's an original spin on superhero stories and it has a lot of great characters.