Captain Marvel, Volume 1: Higher, Further, Faster, More

This is yet another graphic novel that I picked up off of Amazon Prime on an impulse. I saw Avengers Infinity War not too long ago. I had heard that the next Avengers movie will feature Captain Marvel and early next year she will get her own movie so I wanted to learn more about her. I remember the Male Captain Marvel from the seventies but this is a whole new character.

Captain Marvel, Volume 1 is written by Kelly Sue DeConnick with art by David Lopez. This book includes issues 1 through 6 of the comic series and one self contained story. The tale begins with Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) finding an alien trapped in a capsule heading to earth. She saves the alien and then returns him to it's home world.

Once she arrives Captain Marvel discovers that the alien's planet is in danger and in conflict with the Galactic Alliance and the Spartax. She decides to stay and help the alien race but this will set off a chain of events that could alter all of the Marvel Universe and put her at odds with The Avengers. This book also includes appearances from The Guardians Of The Galaxy and Iron Man.

My main complaint about this book was that since I didn't know much about this character I was wanting a little orgin story but I didn't get it. Even though it started with a first issue it felt like I was starting a story in the middle. I realize that this is how the Marvel comics universe works, everything is connected and if you don't know anything about the universe you may be a little lost but I still would have liked a better starting point.

This is an entertaining book though.The characters were interesting,  the art was decent, the story was ok but nothing extraordinary. The book held my interest but wasn't as good as The Totally Awesome Hulk which I read not too long ago. There was a lot of potential in this book though, I would read more if I got the chance and I'm now looking forward to the upcoming movie.