A Beautiful Work In Progress

A Beautiful Work In Progress by Mirna Valerio is a memoir of a long distance runner who isn't like everyone else. Mirna is a plus size athlete who never saw her size as a barrier to doing what she wanted to do. People picture runner should be thin but Mirna isn't like other runners. What drew me to this book was that I liked the idea that it was about someone who doesn't let stereotypes define her.

This book is somewhat of a coming of age story but more about self discovery. You get to hear about Mirna's youth and what made her to decide to be a runner. What I liked hearing about was how Mirna accepted her limitations but still managed to become the person she wanted to be. At one point in the book she is comparing herself to other kids and she accepts the fact that she doesn't have great social skills is not a good leader and she doesn't look like the popular kids but she is a good problem solver and determined to succeed. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses and Mirna shows that how she used both to achieve what she wanted.

A Beautiful Work In Progress is a book about becoming the person you want to be in life and not letting other people's perceptions of what they think you should be define you. My only complaint about this book was that in places the book seemed redundant as she describes some of the runs that she has been on. Though this is a running memoir and you have to expect that.  I did enjoy how she describes the running community from how supportive people are to how she feels as she is running along admiring the beauty of nature. This is an inspirational book of someone who doesn't let limitations stop her and a good look at what it's like to be a runner.