Author interview: William R. Leibowitz

Q:  What made you decide to become a published author?

A:   I had stories to tell that were important to me.  Miracle Man and The Austin Paradox chronicle the saga of Robert James Austin, the greatest genius in human history, from the time of his birth and tragic childhood through his extraordinary accomplishments in curing diseases.  These books are psychological/medical/conspiracy thrillers with fast paced twisting plots that are full of surprises and drama, as Austin battles abandonment and betrayal and the myriad powerful forces (external and internal) that seek to destroy him.   In writing Miracle Man and The Austin Paradox, I wanted to create a modern day believable ‘super hero’ who is an ‘anti-celebrity’.  I thought that such a person could be inspirational when contrasted with the meritless celebrities that dominate media today (e.g., the reality TV stars who are famous for being famous, but have no real talent).  I also wanted Miracle Man and The Austin Paradox to be the vehicles within which I could convey, in an entertainment context, certain spiritual and humanistic messages that mean a great deal to me.

Q:  What kind of messages are you referring to?

A:   One of the underlying themes in Miracle Man is the sanctity of each and every human life.  As the story of the protagonist, Robert James Austin, unfolds throughout the novel, I think the reader will come to appreciate that one can never predict the ramifications of one person’s death.  Robert Austin should have died as a new born, but he was saved in the most unlikely of manners; he then went on to change the world in extraordinary ways.  His life was not expendable.  We all are bombarded every day by statistics of death –how many people died in the latest war, or from famine, or epidemic or other manmade or natural cataclysm.  People’s lives are jumbled together by the media as meaningless numbers.  But what I want the reader of Miracle Man to think about ---is the individual.  Has anyone ever thought how likely it is that the person who would have cured cancer was killed in a Concentration Camp?  That’s why Miracle Man begins with the quotation from Scriptures – “To destroy one life is to destroy an entire world, and to save one life is to save an entire world.”

Q:  Did any real life situations find their way into your books?

A:   Yes.  In writing Miracle Man and The Austin Paradox, I wanted to get readers thinking about a real-life problem that affects us all. One of the powerful forces fighting my protagonist, Robert James Austin, is “Big Pharma” which views Austin as their enemy since he cures diseases and thereby makes many of their “cash-cow” drugs obsolete.  In short, Austin is bad for their business.  Like Austin, I find it incomprehensible that virtually no major disease has been cured in over 50 years.  How can that be the case when so much money has been spent over the decades on research?  Simply put, there’s a lot more money in treating symptoms than there is in curing diseases.  Austin realized that Big Pharma has no interest in curing diseases.  It just wants to keep on selling expensive symptom treatments –and as we know, many people are on ‘medication maintenance programs’ for years, sometimes for life.  Austin wanted to change that.  The Austin Paradox also deals with bio-terrorism which I believe is a very real---and both books deal with a real life problem that has permeated every aspect of our society and that of the rest of the world –unbridled greed and the elevation of money above ethics and morality.

Q:  Good thrillers usually have great villains.  How about in your books?

A:  Oh yes!  Villains are my specialty.  I have some terrific ones—all highly believable and complex in their own right.  Corrupt pharma execs, a twisted CIA director, Russian and Chinese oligarchs, bio-terrorists.  You name ‘em and I got ‘em—and I’ll put mine up against any.  I love them all.

Q:  Do you hear from your readers?  What do they say?

A:   I’ve been fortunate to have received almost one thousand letters from readers who have expressed their enthusiasm for my books and who have indicated how the books are relevant to their personal life experience.  There’s nothing more rewarding for an author than to establish a dialog with individual readers.

William R. Leibowitz has been practicing entertainment law in New York City for a number of years. He has represented numerous renown recording artists, songwriters, producers and many of the leading record companies, talent managers, merchandisers and other notable entertainment businesses. At one point, he was the Chief Operating Officer/General Counsel for the Sanctuary Group of Companies, a U.K. public company that was the largest ‘indie’ music company in the world (prior to its acquisition by the Universal Music Group). William has a Bachelor of Science Degree from New York University (magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa) and a law degree from Columbia University. He lives in the village of Quogue, New York with his wife, Alexandria, and dog, George.

William wrote Miracle Man because of its humanistic and spiritual messages and because he feels that in our current times– when meritless celebrity has eclipsed accomplishment and the only heroes are those based on comic books, the world needs a real hero—and that, of course, is Robert James Austin.